Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Years in Colorado


Since Colin and I had two weeks off for the holidays, we planned to go to with his family the second week to a chillier climate – Beaver Creek, Colorado!  Some friends of friends had lent us their home to stay in, so we joined a couple of other families in this 6 bedroom home. 

The house was gorgeous and was truly someone’s part-time home as it was fully decorated and had everything you could imagine stocked up and ready to use including all kinds of kitchen gadgets, full-size shampoos in the bathrooms, books to read, puzzles to work on, etc.  We cooked most of our meals so we could stay in and watch it snow without worrying about driving.  There was a shuttle bus that came right up the driveway to pick up anyone that wanted to go to the ski resort, and would bring them back within a 5 minute call.  It was great! 

 {Walkway to the house; kitchen; living room; Colin & I's room}

At 18 weeks pregnant, I wasn’t about to attempt to ski.  (The reality is – I know I’m not a good skier, and now I had the perfect excuse!)  Colin took Jill skiing one day – his second time, and her first.  Jill wasn’t as fond of it as Colin was, so she headed back with us after we joined them for lunch.

 

{Beaver Creek Resort; Colin & Jill ready to ski;
ski pass for the day; all suited up!}

For New Year’s Eve, we went and cooked our own meat at the Minturn Country Club.  The ‘stuffed potato’ dessert was some sort of mousse rolled in cocoa – delish!
  
 
{Joe, Michael & Tara cooking their steaks; our "baked potato" dessert}


After dinner, we headed back to the house and rang in the new year with New York – topped with party horns, confetti poppers, and champagne (or grape juice!).  Colin and I stayed up and worked on the puzzle to rang in the Colorado new year.

 {Lots of fun with noise makers!}

We worked on a puzzle on-and-off, went shopping for our ‘Beaver Creek’ and ‘Colorado’ keepsakes a couple of days, and watched movies in the evening.  The best was getting to watch the Chick-Fil-A bowl game where A&M had a surprising comeback after being down 38-17 at half and beat Duke 52-48.  Way to go, Johnny Football! :)  It was even sweeter knowing we watched with fellow Aggies in a die-hard Longhorn’s house.  Love it. 

 {Beaver Creek Resort area - by the creek;
of the mountains; ice skating rink; 
Jill, Colin, Glenda & I; ice sculptures}

{Donna in her crazy hat; cozy socks by the fire; 
puzzle fun; men baking cookies; 
Colin and a Moose Drool bear; 
intense game of Apples to Apples}

It was a very relaxing trip, but I was ready to get back to Texas and our warmer climate!

No comments:

Post a Comment