Saturday, December 21, 2013

Sharing the Special News with Our Co-Workers

Before we left for Thanksgiving break, I wanted to let my boss, Walt, know our good news.  I was almost 13 weeks, things were going smoothly, and I knew he was in the middle of strategizing our department.  He was thrilled.  I had already moved on to talking about how long I planned to be gone, etc. and he had to stop me to absorb the great news.  He couldn't wait for the rest of the team to find out.  I swore him to secrecy - something that is difficult for him.  He likes to be forthright and transparent, so I knew this was a big secret that would challenge him.  He enjoyed talking in code over the next couple weeks though.  :)

As for my co-workers, I waited until our "holiday" (Christmas) get together (16 weeks) so I could share the news to everyone all at once.  I enlisted Walt's help - and he couldn't be more excited.  I told him we had to come up with a "cool" way to announce, and boy did he!  He came up with this "ice breaker" by himself, and nobody knew I was in on it.



Colin found a way to tell his co-workers too.  Since their team had several people leave recently for various reasons, he decided to tell people that he was putting in his two weeks too…for paternity leave!  They were all very happy for us, and relieved he would still be around. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment