Saturday, August 10, 2013

Trapped in the Backyard

So, the other day I got trapped in my backyard.  How, you may ask?  Funny story.

We keep our trash can out on the back patio, so when I noticed that some trash had not been taken out the night before, I decided to take it out before heading out to work.  Well, while we were out of town, some "cicada killers" decided to dig some nests in the ground right by our back door, and the pest guys had not come out yet.  When I walked out to take the trash out, one started buzzing towards me, so I quickly closed the door so it would not get in the house.  Problem with that is....while the deadbolt was unlocked, the knob was not.  It stays locked all the time.  Colin of course had already left, and I did not have my phone with me.  Our gates are locked from the outside, so I was literally trapped.  The cicadas kept buzzing me, so I went to the other gate (running through the wet grass - sprinkler day! in my high heels).  After a car buzzed by (I wasn't about to let anyone see me), I hung my pumps on the fence and climbed up the gate.  I grabbed my heels and jumped over.  I ran around to use the keypad to get in the garage, hoping (praying!) that Colin hadn't locked the door.  I couldn't get the keypad to work, and I later found out I was using the wrong code.  (I won't forget that code again - believe me!)  So, with no other choice, I walked to the neighbors house.  I felt bad because it was kind of early on a summer morning and I was not sure if their daughters were up, but luckily they were.  They let me use the phone to call Colin.  He knew he had locked the door, and we did not have a spare key anywhere outside, so he had to come all the way back home.  Luckily, he was only in Plano and not all the way downtown.  I stayed at the neighbors house until he arrived since it was so hot outside.  He made it back home and saved the day!  I hurried to work and found that I had still beat most of the people in my department.  I had to wait until they arrived to tell them about the crazy morning I had already had!



I'm just glad I did not wear a skirt that day like I had planned to! Not to worry, changes have been made so this will NOT happen again!  Either way, I survived and it made for a funny story!


No comments:

Post a Comment